Monday, October 18, 2010

D-292 A bump in the road

Day 292 of my 365 day project. My love for photograph and my desire to learn as much about photography as I can continues to grown. My commitment to be the best photographer that I can be is still strong. On the business side though, I have hit a bump in the road. Well, more like a road block. I continue to push forward but seem to be wearing out. So when this project is over I have committed to learning about the business aspect of photography. I have been looking for a mentor or mentors in the business area and have come up empty so far. I will continue looking and searching. I saw there are a few who charge but I'm not sure they offer what I'm looking for. If you have any suggestions please feel free to drop me a line.

Today's image was a little uninspiring.
The daily shoot: #ds336 Make a photograph of three items arranged in a composition that pleases you.
Some of our artwork.
Can you guess which one is mine?
spooky
I used a tri-pod tonight.



Images viewed: Karl Grobl
Karl is called a "photojournalist humanitarian" his images will touch you and some will pull at your heart strings. Worth the look. Take one of the photo slide tours while your there.

7 comments:

Nikhil Ramkarran said...

Up to the part about looking for a mentor, I could have written the same words that you did. I think you are a very good photographer and your portraits are superb. In a few years of viewing photos there are only two photographers I'd really like to photograph my children, you and a photographer named Cheryl Jacobs Nicolai.

The big question, of course, is how do you turn that into a business? I have what should be an easy market, Guyanese living abroad. Unfortunately, reaching them is a major problem.

I suspect the solution for both of us is the same also. Relentless self promotion and continuing to slog away day by day.

There are a few people who will be happy to sell you the miracle solution. But having been a photography consumer for a while, I think the key is to stop consuming and start selling. After all, if you knew the secret to being a commercially successful photographer, would you sell the secret? Or would you become a commercially successful photographer?

Nikhil Ramkarran said...

P.S.
Check out Cheryl Jacobs Nicolai's blog here: http://photodino.wordpress.com/

It is excellent, I've been reading it for a while.

Sandra said...

Nikhil, thank you so much for the compliment on my work and your though provoking response.
I am honored that you would compare me to the likes of Cheryl Jacobs Nicolai. Her work is amazing.
I know that you are right - we just have to keep slogging away day by day.
thank you.

Unknown said...

Great post! I love your photo - I don't know which one is yours...? They're all amazing - that must have taken some serious time!

Now I want to try photographing jack-o-lanterns, but we don't have one. We're going to be painting our pumpkins instead of carving them with sharp blades. It just seems safer with my crew. :-)

greygirl25 said...

Very thought-provoking Sandra.

I wish I knew the answers. I would have hit the ground running as a free-lance designer years ago if I knew the answer.

Anonymous said...

Lovely Jack-O-Lantern shots. Reminds me I have to carve our pumpkins;)

I don't have any suggestion as I haven't really looked into business aspect of photography yet. May be (if you don't mind) you could share what you learn...

AB said...

I know nothing about the business, but it is clear from this blog that your photos are professional quality and you are very good at taking on any topic, be it portraits or something more abstract. I can only hope you find a way into the business and that it does not detract from your fun with photography.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails