Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Red Tailed Hawk Egg . . .135/365

I started cleaning the yard yesterday and I found this . .




Just to show size comparison I took the second image.



a Red Tailed Hawk Egg (or what's left of the egg). This family of Hawks has been nesting in our yard without incident for years. Apparently the family continues to grow and spread around the neighborhood. We were once told that they were an federally protected species but I could not find that on an Internet search.

Last year they swooped down, several times, towards our petite pets. This eggs is just a reminder that we better not let the dogs out by themselves this year.

Pictures taken with my 50mm Nikon D300 with the natural sun light that I LOVE so much.

5 comments:

Amanda said...

That is really facinating!! But, I could see where that would be a problem with you dogs.

Tess said...

Ooo what fun neighbors! But I agree that the dogs might disappear if not protected! :)

Nice DOF on the first one.

Eric L said...

Potentially cool, potentially bad. Hope it's the first!q

Jennifer said...

Ooo.. keep eye on when let dogs out.
Interesting at same time what you have found.

Unknown said...

Wow! I did not realize how big their eggs would be!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails